Search This Blog

Monday, May 13, 2013

"I'm sailing rough seas in a strong boat and the big waves just make the story more interesting."   ~ Bartrand J. A. Hubbard 
 
Well, the captain untied the lines and cast off from Hampton Public Marina in downtown Hampton, VA all by himself today.   It was 6:30 AM, dark, and 46 degrees.  The first mate, though awake, hunched deeper into the covers, and their little dog, feeling a whole lot perkier, rolled over onto her back in her little dog bed with a big doggy yawn.

Around 8:30 AM we were hobby-horsing along in strong winds and the seas were 3-4 feet.  I believe we were, at that time, crossing the Potomac River which is uncomfortable on a good day.   I stayed below and monitored the slipping and sliding stuff, cushioned the tv with a pillow, and stowed any extraneous gear.  My headquarters were in the aft cabin.  Then my frolicksome pup decided she might like to join me on the bed so I got an old quilt and brought her up with me.

Things finally began to calm down in the early afternoon, but the winds were still sharp and blowing 25 mph when we cut off to go into Solomon's Marina to top off our fuel tanks.  At 2:00 PM we anchored in Mill Creek -- yes, another Mill Creek -- in Solomons, MD.  It's a pretty little anchorage tucked in from the wind and it's peaceful here.  

I'm sure there were many photo ops today, but I didn't take advantage of them.  Attached are the three photos I took today:

 
Entering Solomons, MD

Solomons, MD

Tonight;s back yard.  Sharing Mill Creek anchorage with Moran tugs

 

No comments:

Post a Comment